From:
Steve Weber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 23:42:06 -0500

Hi.

It was with great interest that we read the recent postings regarding
the GF status of distilled products.

We have been dealing with celiac for ten years, have encountered this
claim many times and are very leery about it.  My wife deni is an
extreme reactor - trace exposure triggers anaphylactic shock and
convulsions - so we are excruciatingly cautious.

The claim that gluten cannot pass through the distillation process is
technically correct.  Unfortunately in the real world of manufacturing,
the distillation process is not carried out by chemists, scientists and
engineers, but rather by overworked underpaid factory hands who are
under pressure from overworked underpaid floor supervisors to get
maximum product out the door at a minimum cost.  In practical terms,
this means that accuracy is a distant second to expediency.  So, if a
little bit of the original liquid sneaks into the final product, the
chances are that the overworked employee will glance around to check if
anyone saw what happened, and the overworked supervisor will ignore it
if that batch is needed to make the production quota.

Does this sound cynical?  I am an electrician / electronics techie in
a manufacturing environment.  Trust me, I know whereof I speak!

If distilled products are safe for you, by all means enjoy them, but
please do not assume or imply that they are safe for everyone.

It may prove very enlightening and elucidating to check out
http://safetyalerts.com/.  The frequency of errors in the food and
pharmaceutical industries is simply stunning.

Be careful out there.
--
Steve Weber

I want to know how God created the world.

I am not interested in this or that phenomenon,
in the spectrum of this or that element.

I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details.

   --Albert Einstein--