From:
Diane Meier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 11:30:35 -0400

1.Final conclusion: we'll get Carvel ice cream "cake" (w/o cake):  ice
cream and  icing are gf. (The icing is critical because that has the
decorations kids love) a.) Folks responded that Carvel ice cream w/o
crunchies is gf. b.) Confirmed by Carvel Corporate - the one company
that responded to my question. c.)  Also, confirmed on gf products
listed on the "Celiac Disease Onsite Support Group Ongoing GF Food List,
updated 1/30/01. http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/gf-
ongoing.html (a wonderful list, by the way, with the caveats stated on
web site)

2.  Conflicting and inadequate info on Baskin Robbins: a.) one person
said that in Canada, Baskin Robbins has gluten in ice cream. b) however,
Baskin Robbins corporate web site did not respond to my question about
whether their buttercream icing on the cake is gf. c) one person
suggested stopping at a store and asking to look at ingredients; I had
already tried that and the store could provide the info on ice cream,
but not on the icing d.) gf product list (see above) says Baskin Robbins
ice cream is gf, but does not address icing

3.)  Inadequate info on Dairy Queen ice cream cakes a.) gf product list
(above) states that vanilla and chocolate ice cream is gf b.) no info on
icing available c.)Dairy Queen corporate web site did not respond to my
question about whether their buttercream icing on the cake is gf.

4.  Ice Cream cake recipe: line 2 cake pans with plastic wrap. Soften
choice of ice cream (can mix and match) and put it into the pans.  Place
them into the freezer to harden. Use a whipped cream  or cool whip
icing.  You can color it with icing coloring also.  Or use a Butter
cream frosting.

Thanks for all the responses.  I'm new to the support group and I find
it incredibly helpful already.

Diane