EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ann Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 16:59:08 -0400
Hi all,

Um, I am not the list owner, so I can not make policy.  However, my
personal preference, and the usual in netiquette is not to send
attachments to lists.  <smile>  I do not make policy, so attachments
may be allowed on here, I dunnow.  However I am not going to open any
attachments I get from here unless I know from whom they come and
why.

Yes, I can read them with my screen reader, if they are in ASCII or in
MSWord or in wp5.1.  But that is not the point here, Richard, or at
least it isn't in my case.  I've already outlined the reasons why *I*
don't like attachments, but here they are again.

1.  Attachments can carry viruses, or viri,, depending on your
    language preferences.  In fact, you can get a virus from a friend
    and your friend may not know about it.  With a list of some three
    to four hundred people, world wide, it is just simple common sense
    not to send attachments for this reason alone!

2.  People in foreign countries pay by the byte or by the minute for
    their online time.  Sending a large file is discourteous because
    you do not know if the person really wants your file or not.  You
    can ask all four hundred people on here, but you may only get ten
    replies one way or the other.  The best thing is just not to send
    it in my opinion.

3.  Janet is right, an attachment does interrupt the digest, and if
    the attachment is too big, may stop the digest altogether, causing
    a bottleneck at Maelstrom.

Again, I am *not* the listowner, but these are *my* reasons why I do
not like attachments.

Ann P.

--
                        Ann K. Parsons
email:  [log in to unmask]                   ICQ Number:  33006854