EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ann Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 14:23:31 -0400
Hi all,

Paul, I agree that good web sites need to do things like display
material in columns.  Many text browsers do well with columns, e.g. W3
and Lynx.  I do not know about the new wave of talking browsers from
IBM and the new British one and so on.  Also, I think that Mike
Calvo's Freedom box may have the capability to read in columns.

No one is disputing the fact that visual effects do make a difference
for the majority of web users.  However, consider this when you start
blaming all your woes on the needs of the blind.  There is a new and
fast growing cadre of companies who are doing either phone web
browsing technology and/or cell phone web browsing.    Many of these
companies are now using speech recognition software to speak web pages
and weather reports and so on to their sighted users.  I don't believe
that speech recognition has gotten much better at identifying
graphics than we know about.  These people are going to have a hissy
fit if they can't access the pages they want through their cell phones
or through their car phones, hotel kiosques and so on and on.

Also consider that folks in developing countries do not have the
latest and greatest tech.  Many people prefer low graphics or no
graphic sites simply because they can get to the info they need
faster.

Therefore, I think we need to think in terms of universal access.
Build web sites for  all.  I think a good web designer can design a
tool that is not only functional but beautiful as well.

Ann P.

--
                        Ann K. Parsons
email:  [log in to unmask]                   ICQ Number:  33006854