EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 18 May 2002 18:01:21 GMT
Hi Kathy,

Lloyd mentioned Home Page Reader is not a screen reader.  Another
program which reads text and web pages, and is not a screen reader,
is WordAloud, at $44.95 (29.95 pounds in the UK).  Unlike Home Page
Reader, it will run happily on Windows 95.  It also runs on Windows 98,
ME, NT, 2000, and XP.

WordAloud is not a screen reader, as it does not interpret the screen.
Instead it takes text directly from a text file, clipboard, or web page
source.  You can read from Windows applications by copying the text onto
the clipboard.  You can also use it as a browser for sites marked
up in simple HTML.

WordAloud displays text a word-at-a-time in large characters,
allowing partially sighted people to read rapidly.  In speech mode,
the display is synchronised with the speech.  People who've tried
WordAloud say that it's extremely easy to install and use.
And it can be operated entirely from the keyboard, with single
letter commands to change speed, volume, etc.

You can download a free evaluation copy from www.wordaloud.co.uk.

Cheers,

John
--

--
John Nissen, Cloudworld Ltd., Chiswick, London
Tel:   +44 (0) 845 458 3944 (local rate in the UK)