From:
frank bukovac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 11:48:25 -0500

Thanks so much for all of your responses!  I've been helped so very much
by this list that I can't magine what it would be to be without it!

By way of summary, my granddaughter has been diagnosed with Scoliosis.I
had requested information regarding any possible connection with CD
since I carry two genes.  Of 25 total responses, 12 indicated that they
were unaware of a connection but interested in a summary.  Of those who
responded:

1) Four have CD and Scoliosis.

2) 1 has CD and an aunt with Scoliosis.

3) 2 mothers with CD have daughters with Scoliosis, both of whom the
moms believe have undiagnosed CD.

4) 2 mothers with Scoliosis (didn't say if they also have CD) have
children with CD.

5) 1 mother has a son with CD and a sister with Scoliosis.

6) 1 mother and daughter with CD.  The daughter also has Scoliosis.

7) One person asked her father who is a doctor if he thought the two
were related.  His view was that it would be unusual since Scoliosis has
more to do with an abnormal growth pattern.

Of those who were aware or believed there was a connection between CD
and Scoliosis:

1) 2 had Scoliosis that went away after a GF diet.  One stated that the
Scoliosis was related to malnutrition, particularly the nutrients that
make up the connective tissue.

2) Another person with CD and Scoliosis said that people with digestive
diseases have problems bsorbing calcium, supposedly.  Whatever the
reason, skeletal problems are common.

3) 1 stated that my granddaughter should be checked immediately for CD.
The person responding was 13 when diagnosed with Scoliosis, and no one
then knew there was a ink.  Her life would have been much different. Had
she know then, she likely would have been spared a number of
health-related problems.  She stated that she is bitter that American
doctors know almost nothing about CD when foreign countries are way
ahead of us.  At least, the future looks brighter for our children and
grandchildren.  Incidentally, her (and another respondent's) first
symptoms were only recurring anemia.

4) 3 sisters all have CD.  Of those, 1 has Scoliosis and has always said
there was a connection.

5) 1 had Scoliosis at 13, recently diagnosed with CD.  2 of his 3
children have eczemas and are being tested for CD.

6) 1 has CD and Scoliosis, both of her adult children have growth curves
with extensive spinal usions.  She strongly suspects a CD connection.
Her mother suffered with CD (undiagnosed an untreated).  She is 1 of 5

7) 1 has 2 copies of the gene as I do, CD and Scoliosis.  Both brothers
and a son have Scoliosis.  All have "degenerative spinal disorders
(autoimmune conditions)."  She states "Yes, there is strong connection
between CD and spinal disorders/malformations, maybe resulting from
malabsorption of calcium, vit. D, vit. C, magnesium and phosphorus (all
required to form strong bone/disks/nerves) or, maybe, genetically passed
on, related to damaged inherited chromosomes on "CD" genes - or maybe
both causes."

Miscellaneous responses:

3 suggested web sites, one to post my questions,
"forums.delphi.com/celiac/messages;" to help a physician diagnose CD at
"aafp.org/afp/980301ap/pruessn.html," and relating to Scoliosis, "gluten-
free.org/hoggan/scoliosis.txt".

1 very lengthy posts provided extensive information on testing and
information for a newly-diagnosed CD, which I will forward to my
daughter.  Check the archives under May 26th for this post.  Too lengthy
include with this already LONG summary.

An Ongoing Family Genetic Study for CD was mentioned by Gayanne O'Neil,
Study Coordinator, University of Utah, Department of Genetic
Epidemiology.  Her e-mail address is [log in to unmask] for
further information.  After my daughter and grandchildren receive
their test results, I will contact Gayanne if they are positive.

I'm sorry this is so long, but there were so many variations of
situations.  Thanks again for all your help!  Please also let me know if
the text in my summaries are printing correctly.  I'm not certain if it
is wrapping correctly.

Sandra