From:
Laurel B. Schunk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 16:52:28 -0500

About two weeks ago I posed a question to the list about the
relationship between CD and respiratory problems, allergies in
particular. My husband has been gf since about January, and he had no
signs of his regular allergy season this spring. His allergist said
there was no connection between foods and respiratory allergies, which I
found hard to believe.

I received about 60 replies, which I will not quote here, but I can give
you the gist of them all. All of them said that yes, it was common for
respiratory allergies to improve once a person went gf. Because wheat is
a grain and my husband is mostly allergic to grasses, it makes sense
that staying away from wheat and its assorted connections would help
improve his allergies. Some people stated that they had between 1/2 and
2/3 fewer allergic reactions once they went gf, others said they had
none now.

One pointed out that of course peanuts can cause severe respiratory
problems in some people.

It sure does help those of us with respiratory allergies stay gf,
doesn't it? My husband has had some denial, but his healthy May has
helped fight some of it.

Best to you all.

Laurie