From:
Alan Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 10:54:45 +1000
Thanks to several people for responses.  I understand that one can prevent the growth of fungus on diskettes by storing them in an airtight container, with dessicant, and possibly in the icebox, sealed with dessicant.

What does the fungus do?  Can the diskette in any way be rescued once it has
already been attacked by the fungus?  If the fungus is carefully cleaned off, can
the diskette again be read, or does the fungus actually destroy the structure of the magnetic material?

Thanks again,

Alan Davis

--
[log in to unmask]                                     1-670-235-6580
    Alan E. Davis,  PMB 30, Box 10006, Saipan, MP 96950-8906, CNMI

I have steadily endeavored to keep my mind free, so as to give up any
hypothesis, however much beloved -- and I cannot resist forming one
on every subject -- as soon as facts are shown to be opposed to it.
                                  -- Charles Darwin (1809-1882)