Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2001 13:04:56 -0700
  Since you have NetBEUI installed, there is very little besides a
cable problem that should be able to produce this kind of symptom.
  So before we dig into that, let's quickly check the two other
things I can think of:

1.  You're using "Client for Microsoft Networks", right?

2.  Under "File and Printer Sharing" properties, you have "Browse
Master" set to "Enabled" on at least one of the machines -- probably
should preferably be the Win98.  (Network Neighborhood is populated
by obtaining a list of machines from the Browse Master machine.  If
too many are enabled, they'll hold an "election" to decide whose job
it is; if too few, sell, that could be the trouble.)

  There's one other thing to check, on the hub, and that is that
neither of your PCs is plugged into the "uplink" port, if there is
one.

Dave Gillett