From:
Neal Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:50:14 EDT
Well, I just had one of my hard drives fail. I was running a dual boot with
Win 98 and Win ME..mainly I just wanted to see if ME was any better. Since I
didn't really like it, I never really used that drive and it is the one that
failed.  I am pretty sure its completely gone, with no chance of recovery at
all.  If I hook up just the failed drive, it is not detected at all...not
listed in the bios and I get a warning that no hard disk is installed. I have
verified that the ribbon cable and IDE controller are working, since I can
boot my Windows 98 hard drive just fine.
I was just curious for learing purposes if there might be any steps I can
take to try and recover data on the malfunctioning drive. I'm pretty sure its
a lost cause on this one, just a good thing there wasn't anything important
on it.
Thanks,

Neal Collins
A+