From:
Michael McDermott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 19:29:53 -0500
The computer is a Gateway 2000 486 33Mhz with 16MB of base RAM and an OPTI Motherboard.

After trying to install a CD-ROM myself and failing, I gave the computer to a friend who fixed it. It worked fine until he gave it back to me and I went home and set it up. When I powered it up, the BIOS came up fine. Due to an old CMOS battery I got a "CMOS RAM error" the first time I powered the computer. All of the CMOS settings were reset. However, the hard drive did not spin, the power light was not on and the computer did not detect it. The same occured with the CD-ROM, which my friend claimed was working fine. I opened it up and all of the connections appeared tight. I am thinking that it may be the CMOS battery but am looking for input.