From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:01:02 -0400
Things need to be "burned-in"... Most stuff of this type will last for
years  --   if it makes it through the first thirty days.

I was just reading (as an example) a certain model CD-burner
manufacturer was expecting a 6% defective return rate on a new
model...  They would have to build them "too good" to lower that
rate and save any money...   This all gets back to planned
obsolesce, and being the most competitive price...

Another example...  Hard drive manufacturers could double the life
of hard drives for a modest cost...  Two things would happen...
People would avoid them because they are "too expensive"
compared to one built as cheap as possible just to get the job done.
And those that did buy them would not HAVE to replace it as soon
since it lasted longer. (Less repeat business...)

Remember that most things are designed and built to be "just good
enough" to get out the door and not cause too many problems for
the maker...
                                Rick Glazier

> I guess the question here is: why did it die? did I just get a dud, what
> other causes for a dead mobo except a power spike which the ups would have
> stopped?

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com