From:
Dennis Thiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:58:44 -0400
Dean,

You won't have to buy a new copy of XP if you upgrade your hardware. You
just have to call Microsoft and tell them you've upgraded and convince them
that you're not a crook and beg for permission to re-activate Windows. The
whole product activation scheme stinks and I for one won't be upgrading. Win
98 works fine for me. I don't need to put more money in Bill's bulging
pockets. In my opinion, Microsoft is just going to alienate more customers,
and in the long run will lose more money than they would by the average Joe
putting one copy of Windows on a couple of computers at home. I can play an
audio CD in my home or car stereo without buying another copy for each
machine. Why is computer software any different?

Sorry for ranting and if this is off topic I apologize for that also. But
this product activation really makes my blood boil. And from what I've been
reading, I'm not alone.

Dennis Thiel