Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 13:31:27 -0700
On Sun, 8 Jul 2001 00:28:18 -0500, you wrote:

>Date:    Sat, 7 Jul 2001 20:38:59 +1200
>From:    Kevin Neal <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Old Packard Bell, P133.
>
>I guess my problem follows on from the recent PacBell/NEC discussion.
>
>The old Packard Bell P133 clunker I'm using to write this has run 24/7
>ever since it was a bargain buy at the time of 200MMX? introduction.
>Apart from a new fan, it hasn't stopped.

So what OS version is presently on it in its present happy condition?

>I'm in the process of building a new system to better suit my needs, and
>I would like to give this one to the refugee family next door so that
>their children have some chance of being computer literate at an early
>age.

I'd encourage this.

>Several issues arise,
>1/ As they certainly can't afford to buy an original WinMe,

Certainly don't put WinMe on a P133!!!

>and W98 is
>now basically unavailable,

NOT TRUE.   Even Win95 and Win 3.1 are available
And of course some builders don't / won't  put WinMe on anything!

Check www.pricewatch.com www.ebay.com and do some more searching.]
Win95 amd Win98 are very available.

> I will probably wipe and reformat the HDD
>using my legitimate copy of W98SE.

It hardly takes that to wipe and reformat hard drive!

Better see if you presently have any special software drivers peculiar
to the PacBell like sound video  and modem before you wipe it.

You probably want to put on a  P133 any version of Win95 or Win98

> My other worry is hardware related. I don't want to give them a
>lemon. What has worked well for me, may not in another situation.

You could give them your new computer and THAT might not work well for
them!

Giving anything away risks you thinking you have to support it.  And
forever!

>I'm
>aware that Packard Bell has been described at times as Packard Hell.
>Never mind, -  my concern is that if any single part fails, - then the
>whole system is shot.
>'It's not worth trying to fix'  is my first thought.

Right.  if it fails its worth a cursory examination as it is likely
only  a software or settings problem but if it actually is probably
hardware failure then its not likely worth messing with further.

Actually lots of people replace last years computer for the very same
reason.

>I guess my real question is ........is it worthwhile?

If will serve its purpose if they learn a little. Like what the big
key is. What is a cursor, mouse etc. Its sufficient for word
processing, older games and learning software.  Email, web surfing and
much else.  In fact it can type or download as fast as a Pentium IV.

>Or is there an organisation dedicated to re-cycling old computers who I
>can refer to?

IBM will collect it as scrap if you PAY them about $30

I'd say check for special drivers and reinstall the OS version it
presently has (or an earlier OS) and

give it away with ...

a testimonial to how it served you

and a disclaimer as to its limitations

and attest to the SMALL amount of YOUR available future support.

Tell them they CAN throw it away if it ever frustrates them without
even offending you.

And not to put it on the god shelf or blame themselves too much if
Microsoft software acts up

They may get something out of it.

You do know by experience exactly some software that DOES work well on
it. If perchance they want to do something similar point them in the
right direction.

And warn them not to buy the latest greatest and to read the
requirements on the box before they buy a game for the kids..

I've given a few working PacBells away and they worked out.

I limited my involvement, expressed my good intentions and ever after
considered it not-mine.

If yours was a reliable one it might well stay that way a while.

Mark Paulson

Silicon Valley, California