From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 07:54:37 +0000
>Of those that eat raw meat, how do you eat it - cold, straight out of the
>refridgerator or warm? If you warm it, how? Help me out a bit here. What
>do I need to know?
>
>I need some guidance on my first raw meat steps. (And some convincing that
>I *should* eat raw meat.)
>
>Jim.

I eat beef raw, with garlic and onions and egg mixed in, or just out of
hand from the fridge. Or sliced thin, with melted butter and garlic
(there's a theme here...) drizzled over. Or I cook very lightly, by
broiling or frying just enough to melt the butter (garlic goes on later).

Raw fish only if it's high-quality, or sushi, standard. Raw oysters, to be
sure. Tuna grilled as above, just a tiny bit, and other fish cooked for the
minimum time. I am very picky about fish quality, and usually only buy it
in Oriental markets.

Raw chicken I just can't get behind yet, but I eat it pink, not white, and
raw at the bone.

Lamb and pork lightly cooked, well below FDA recs:), like basically raw inside.

I'd normally eat only high-quality, grass-fed or pasture raised animals
raw, at least partly because their meat tastes so much cleaner and less
cloying, even when fatty. I feed my dog raw, and I'm not fanatical about
cleaning up boards and counters. We both seem to have developed cast-iron
immune systems, and don't have trouble with food poisoning.

Why raw? Ease of digestion, presence of enzymes and nutritional factors
that are destroyed by heat, and it just plain tastes better. Anything I
can't eat raw or rare goes into the soup pot and gets reduced to its
essential broth - which is eaten, you guessed it, with lots of raw garlic.
Try just a taste raw here and there, and gradually cook for less and less
time. Certain items will be more approachable than others.

A footnote: I had mentioned online about eating raw beef liver, and when I
went to visit a Paleo pal I'd met online, she excitedly presented my dog
and me with a dish of cut-up raw liver and said she'd love to watch us eat
it - which we did, to her great enjoyment and ours. Don't try this at home,
unless you really want to.

ginny

All stunts performed without a net!