AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Audrey Gorman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:20:55 -0600
I don't do a whole workshop on disabilities in general, but would be glad
to help people work on including service to people with learning
disabilities (LD).  My workshops focus on LD, but include services to
other disability groups because I want to be as inclusive as possible.  I
also believe that staff training, policy changes, and equipment and
materials investments make more sense to administrators and boards if
you can show you're improving service to as large a group as possible.

Anyway,  I have some materials and might also be able to help locate
someone near you who could be part of a presentation.  I might even be
able to do a piece of the training myself, depending on circumstances
and my schedule.

This is an emerging issue, so some presenters include it but some don't
yet.  At very least, ask prospective presenters if they do cover learning
disabilities.

I'd also recommend working with your state Tech Access Center on the
technology aspects of this issue.  See http://www.ataccess.org for
more information, including a state-by-state list.  Another good general
resource on this issue is the Center for Accessible Technology,
http://www.el.net/CAT/

Audrey
Audrey J. Gorman
Director, Roads To Learning, The Public Libraries' Learning Disabilities
Initiative
50 East Huron St.,  Chicago, IL  60611
Voice:  1-800-545-2433  Ext. 4027