VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Catherine Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Catherine Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 22:57:07 -0400
Something must be in the air.  I too have had awful computer problems at
work for the last two weeks.  It's brought my productivity to a standstill.
Today, the hard drive was replaced.  Anyway, to answer your question, my
company recently purchased an HP 3970 scanner for me to use with Open Book 7
and Windows 2000.  I'm sure this scanner would also work with Windows XP.
The scanner is about $100, and it got good reviews in Consumer Reports.  It
requires a USB port though, so if your computer doesn't have that, you might
want to think about something else.  At any rate, the only slight hitch in
using this scanner is that you have to install a particular file called
Twainscan.ini on your computer in the openbook 7 folder.  There is already a
copy of this file on your computer if you use Openbook, and you need to
simply tell your computer to replace this old twanscan.ini file with the
updated version.  Freedom Scientific techs can email you the file.  When you
call, ask for Damon.  He'll know exactly what you're talking about.  The
file allows you to not have to reset a certain setting every time you start
Openbook, which would be a pain.  I hope this helps.  I agree that Freedom
Scientific's list of scanners is very long and hard to weed through.  I
should also mention that that list hardly seems to have any scanners on it
that are still on the market.  It seems that by the time Freedom Scientific
gets around to testing a scanner, it's already been pulled off the market
and replaced with another, newer one.  So it's frustrating.  I took a gamble
when I got this particular scanner, but luckily it seems to work well as
long as you install this twainscan.ini file and follow the instructions the
tech should give you.  Hope this helps.
Catherine Armstrong