VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gordan Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gordan Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2003 17:31:56 -0800
To All ,Blind and Visually Impaired Readers,  I live in San Diego,
California and our city has these traffic control devises on fire trucks
and other emergency vehicles.  We have some very wide intersections
(some up to ten lanes wide) where these devices operate regardless of
disabled persons who are crossing with audible signals and the blind and
visually impaired are at the mercy of these emergency vehicles.  If this
was an isolated incident only a few pedestrians would be hit by an
emergency vehicle.  In the last two months I have been in such a
position five times on crossing a wide boulevard.  Since I cannot see
beyond a few yards it is impossible to know which way to go.  It is true
I live only 1/4 mile from the local fire station and several blocks
further are two very large hospitals who have emergency rooms for
ambulance response.
If any driver can be his own dictator/emperor behind the wheel of his
moving mini domain we are in a really serious life threatening problem.
At least massive gridlock does not threaten pedestrian lives.
The problem has a simple short term solution.  Just deactivate these
devises until a workable solution can be found.  Fire trucks and other
emergency vehicles have operated more or less safely before these
devices were installed.  It is interesting that when the power to due
harm is removed the problem no longer exists.  And when the profit to
the vender and user is removed a lot of stuff becomes useless junk.
So please read the following article and be informed.
Gordon Wahl
XXXX
#####