VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Camper Mick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Camper Mick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 15:22:34 -0500
The system shouldn't be doing a scan disk every time it boots unless -
as you stated - it is programmed to do so. If a program is still running
at shut down then the machine hasn't properly shut down windows. The
first thing to do is to determine exactly what is running while windows
is up. To do this run msconfig if you are running windows 98. Just type
msconfig in the run dialog box and hit enter. Once in msconfig hit the
'start up' tab and this will tell you what is running every time you
start up. Decide if you need all the applications running that are
checked and take the check out of applications that don't need to be
started automatically. Programs that don't need to be started
automatically could include Real Player, Quicktime, etc. If you do not
know what a program is then do not take the check out.