VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jay Leventhal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Leventhal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 15:43:01 +1030
Hi Everyone,

Elaine Gerber of the American Foundation for the Blind's Policy Research
and Program Evaluation Dept. asked me to post this message about a very
interesting project that is going on here. I hope you will find time to
participate.

Jay Leventhal

Hi. My name is Elaine, and I wanted to alert you to a new project that the
American Foundation
for the Blind (AFB) is doing. We have recently begun a national
"livability" study seeking to
identify the criteria that blind and visually impaired people from all
stages of life consider to be
most important in making their communities truly livable.

You can participate in this project by filling out a short questionnaire
found on AFB's website at www.afb.org/livability.asp

We'd love for you to share your thoughts!

For more information, here is a recent flyer announcing our study:

AFB Launches "Livable Communities" Study

What makes communities truly livable for people who are blind or visually
impaired?

The American Foundation for the Blind (AFB) has launched a national
research project that will
provide information about the "livability" of cities and towns in the
United States from the point
of view of people who are blind or visually impaired. AFB's research will
identify the criteria
that blind or visually impaired people use to assess their communities. AFB
is using a "life
stages" approach, which will consider what is important for children and
youth, working-
age adults, and seniors.

The criteria and an initial list of the most highly rated communities will
be announced in
February 2003 at "Vision Loss in the 21st Century," an international
symposium co-sponsored
by AFB and the Foundation for the Junior Blind.

What will this livable communities study accomplish?

The purpose of this project is to help blind or visually impaired people
advocate for improving
the accessibility of their communities.  The project will also provide
information resources for
blind or visually impaired people-and their families-who are considering a
residential move,
college attendance decisions, tourist destinations, and the like.

This research goes beyond imagining, toward eventually assuring more
livable communities
throughout the nation.

Please let others know about this project

For more information, or to participate visit
www.afb.org/livability.asp
e-maillivability@a...
or call (800) 232-5463

If you had your choice of anywhere to live in the U.S. as a person who is
blind or visually
impaired, where would it be? And tell us why...

All information provided is strictly confidential.