VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Kennedy, Bud" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kennedy, Bud
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 08:26:32 -0400
An intergovernmental panel spending time over a ten year period doing
nothing but saying that nothing could  be done.  is, in my mind, the best
reason for a suit.  Many things which intergovernmental panels and
industries have said couldn't be done have turned out differently when the
spotlight of a court is turned on them.  One of the things that this suit,
or any other suit, will do is to force both sides to put their best
arguments forward and have them judged by an outside observer.  Or, it might
force both sides to come up with an innovative solution that was heretofore
not considered because there was no compelling reason to "think out of the
box."  And, if the suit fails as well it might for all the reasons cited in
this thread, we will at least be able to say that the outcome was decided by
somebody other than a bureaucrat or lobbyist with a vested interest in the
status quo.

Someone suggested that we need to "reexamine the problem."  It seems to me
that the problem is as defined.  What we need to do is examine all possible
solutions.  Accommodation almost always costs something, the goal is to
accommodate the most people with the minimum amount of cost and disruption
to the economic systems affected.  This is where bringing the courts into
the picture can help.

          Bud Kennedy