From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 May 2002 04:22:54 -0700
On 4 May 2002, at 13:06, Demetri Kolokotronis wrote:

> I suspect it is a setting, rather than hardware issue, since
> network works with NetBEUI. The fact that, with TCP/IP, which
> computer shows both computers in Network Neighborhood depends on
> which computer starts first, should mean something, but I do not
> know what.

  Network Neighborhood is populated (mostly) by contacting the
"Browse Master" and obtaining a list from it of machines that are
present on the network.  Apparently, whichever machine you boot first
is (correctly) nominating itself as browse master, and (also
correctly) updating its list when the other machine broadcasts that
it is joining the network.
  The second machine is apparently (correctly) recognizing that there
is a Browse Master already on the network, but never managing to
retrieve a current list of machines from it via TCP/IP, only via
NetBEUI (which does everything using broadcasts and host names, not
by addresses).  I'm not sure *why* this is failing.

  But a couple of weeks ago, I made a suggestion of how you could
"pre-populate" Network Neighborhood with shortcuts to your machines,
and thus sidestep the problem.  Did you ever try that?  Did it work?

David Gillett