From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 08:15:45 -0500
Ian, the Geforce2 Pro cards have their memory running a bit faster than the
original or regular Geforce2 GTS.  This makes them faster, especially as you
move up from the lowest screen resolutions, since memory bandwidth seems to
be the biggest obstacle that today's graphics cards are struggling to deal
with.

The core/memory clock speeds of the Geforce2 GTS, the Pro model , and the
Ultra model are as follows.
Geforce2 GTS 200/166
Geforce2 Pro 200/200
Geforce2 Ultra 250/230

The performance of the Geforce2 Pro is thus in-between that of the original
GTS model and the Ultra.  The above information is taken from an AnandTech
article on the Geforce2 Pro.

The newer Geforce2 Titanium seems to fall between the earlier Geforce2 Pro
and the Geforce2 Ultra, as it has these core and memory stats: 250/200.
However, as you might have guessed from my earlier comment about how today's
video cards are often memory bandwidth constrained, the actual performance
difference between a Geforce2 Pro and a Geforce2 Ti will be negligible,
especially as you move up to higher resolutions (i.e., 800x600x32 and
above).  For example, AnandTech's round up of the Geforce2 and 3 titanium
line only tested the cards at resolutions of 1024x768x32 and higher, and
under these conditions, there was no significant difference between the
Geforce2 Pro and the Geforce2 Titanium.

John

----- Original Message [edited]-----