Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:38:43 -0800
On 11 Jan 2002, at 4:48, Hugh Vandervoort wrote:

> I'm a novice at networking, and I can't seem to get ICS to work on my new
> network:
> Host is 1,2 Athlon with XP
> Client is AMD KX-2 500 with Win98.
> Setup was done with the XP Network wizard.

> I can see all files on both computers, and the Host indicates that
> my dial up connection is shared, but I get no internet access on
> the client.

> I have pinged both computers successfully and run the XP network
> troubleshooter without resolving the problem.

> If I understand correctly, all I should have to do is open a
> browser window on the client, or use e-mail (Outlook) to get a
> connection. I get "Server not found or DNS error" even when the
> host is connected.

> I'm not sure where to look next.Any help would be appreciated

  Unless you have that service that Sprint PCS was advertising, or
the equivalent, you can't just say a friends name into your phone and
expect it to dial the number.  Even if you *do* have such a service,
somebody or something has to look up your friend by name and find the
number that you dial to reach him.  With the phone, this is most
often done by memory or by consulting a paper directory.

  Similarly, you can't really just ask the Internet for
"www.microsoft.com" (for instance).  Someone or something has to look
up that name and find an "IP address" that goes with it.
  There are a number of ways that this can be done.  Automatically,
the machine will do the equivalent of remembering recently-contacted
addresses or hunting through scraps of paper on your desk.

  Just as, when those fail, you can dial directory assistance to get
the number, the Internet has a similar system called DNS.  But while
you probably know that the number for directory assistance is 411 (or
whatever it is, if you live somewhere where it's something else...),
a computer needs to be told what number to dial for directory
assistance.
  Or, in TCP/IP terms, the (numeric) IP address of a DNS server.
Each of your machines will need to have such an address, but there
are two basic ways to supply it.
  One way is to enter it by hand into the TCP/IP protocol
configuration.  The other is to leave this set as "obtain an address
automatically -- but I'm not sure you have anything on your naetwork
to answer such requests.

  Anyway, that's what the error message is trying to tell you -- the
machine has not been able to "resolve" the name of a machine to an IP
address, either because it can't find a DNS server, or because the
DNS server isn't responding, or because the DNS server is telling it
that the name doesn't belong to a refistered (listed) server.
  (Your ISP should be able to tell you what address you need to set
in order to talk to their DNS server(s).)

David Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com