From:
"Jon F. Persinger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 06:54:47 -0500
Message text written by PCBUILD - Personal Computer Hardware discussion
List
>I have Dell Dimension L,800MHz, 128 RAM, 40 GB, WinME.  If I am only going
to use one OS & one browser, what's the pluses or the minuses of partioning
my hard drive? Thanks
<

Honestly, I don't see many pluses at all.  Back in the days when cluster
size management was a big concern, it made sense.  (Or before that when you
had partition size limits like DOS 3.x.)  If you don't need dual-boot
capabilities, what's the point?  Technically I don't see any gains by doing
that.  Logically, it is a different issue.  You may find it more convenient
to view the drive as smaller partitions for the purpose of organization.
Sometimes it makes sense to put all the programs on one drive and the data
on another.  (ie. databases)  Actually, in that instance, you may see a
small gain in speed by doing so, and backing up the data becomes a little
easier to manage.  Similarly, I've seen people use a separate drive for use
with only the swap file.  This is more often done with NT, but I guess you
could do it with 9x also.

Jon Persinger