From:
Charles Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 08:51:08 -0400
Date:    Wed, 3 Oct 2001 14:20:07 -0700
From:    Leanna Flom <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Computer locking up

I have a HP Pavilion, running W98Se with 666 MgH, PIII Intel with 30
gig and
128 Ram.  I have had lock up problems from the start and the HP
technician
wants to blame the SCCSI card I have for a scanner.  However, I
removed the
SCCSI card and still had the freeze ups.  They are more and more
frequent
and occur 90% of the time when I am online and loading a page. Simply
scrolling down a page will cause a freeze up.  I am an ATT@Home
<mailto:ATT@Home>  user that is currently using IE5.5.  Any ideas on
how to
ferret out the problem.  It is quite frustrating and doing a
control-alt-delete does not work.  I have to manually shut down the
system
and reboot.

Thanks,

Leanna Flom

------------------------------

I would recommend checking the mouse.  I have gone through several MS
scroll mice and as they went bad, this was the symptom.  Not really
sure how a mouse can freeze the works, but it does.  MS is aware of it
and replaces the mouse, but the new ones don't last as long as the old
ones.  I've since gone to LT.

Charlie
(Charles Bennett)
Williamsburg, VA