From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 18:27:37 -0400
Here is a Microsoft link I got from google.com
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q252/4/48.ASP

I haven't had much luck with these articles.

I have however used dos networking extensively within an NT 4 environment to
establish a netbui connection so I could download and install to a bare
machine over a lan.
There are two problems.  Although I had the files and instructions for
TCP/IP from microsoft, I only once succeeded in getting a dos client to
connect with TCP/IP protocol, so I was limited to NETBUI. Second, the .ini
files may need to be edited by hand, and sometimes that means you have to
take your best guess. We have only used 4 or 5 different brands of NIC's in
the last nine years, you don't need to change them often.  One thing I
noticed was the NCADMIN program likes some better than others.

A 'sometimes it works' method I have used is to install win 3.11 for
workgroups, note the changes it makes to the windows directory, and build a
diskette containing the .exe, .dll, and .ini I saw changed or installed.
You have to use netbui as the protocol for this to work, which means at
least one other pc on the lan has to be running netbui as well.  If your
careful, you can do this without the knowledgebase articles, as long as you
can find a driver in win3.11 to support your nic.

Something I haven't tried is to abandon Microsoft Network Client entirely
and try a third party lan software, like Lantastic.

Use a google.com search for "Dos Network", I got a lot of hits.

Tom Turak