From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 22:00:15 -0400
Diana Benoit wrote:

> Does anyone know how to "short" the CMOS?  I know where this is to take place
> on my motherboard, but I don't know how to do it.  I need to clear the setting,
> but am afraid to pry out the battery.  It's in a plastic type holder that looks
> like it will break if I stick a screw driver in there.
>
> Thanks,
> Diana

Diana:
Check the motherboard manual. On newer motherboards, the CMOS can be
reset by shorting out two terminals on the motherboard. On older ones,
it is necessary to remove the battery. I share your concern about
bending (apparently) flimsy plastic thingies way out of shape (and I'm a
retired mechanical engineer who has designed them). So long as you don't
go in there with a 2 foot crowbar, and use a little finesse, you're
probably going to be OK. OTOH, if it really makes you uncomfortable,
perhaps this is one time when it might be worthwhile taking the box to
your local PC repair guy and paying the minimum bench charge. Your best
bet might be a local mom-and-pop operation on a slow day; with any luck,
you might be able to see how it's done.
Regards,
Carroll Grigsby

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: