From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:00:53 -0400
(Original message and my first reply snipped. -- R Glazier)

----- Message (Reply to reply)-----
From: "Dan Kucherich" <[log in to unmask]>
> I'm just curious, you've suggested the cdrw as sec slave.  I've seen
> configurations in some PCs (with 1-HD and 1-cdrom only) where the HD is
> Primary master and the CD-rom is secondary slave.  What is the advantage of
> making the CD sec slave?
>
> Btw, I'll be using Adaptec sw with Win98se.

It comes from reading all the info from the HD people and from
being on other lists, including the one at Roxio (formerly Adaptec).

When putting a HD and CD on the same (either) channel, the HD
would "obviously" be master, and the HD people tell you that...
(The channel was originally designed for HDs... It makes sense...)

If putting a CD-ROM on a channel by itself, it was "never" too fussy
about if it was jumpered properly. (Any particular BIOS could be
very fussy, and things might have changed.)
The system seems to "find it" fine either way.  If set as secondary
from the beginning, it becomes real easy to add a HD later to the
same channel... (As master) This is recommended in my manual.
This may be the origins of how a lot of CD-RW drives got added
in as Masters on those channels. (Could be people following
"their" manuals too...)

When a CD-ROM and CD-RW are on the same channel, follow the
instructions that came with both (if possible).
My CD-RW clearly spells out (with pictures) to move the CD-ROM
to the master. (Several Acers).
This has the side benefit of putting the CD-RW lower in the front bays
and protecting it from any heat from a CD-ROM (that is "not" under it),
and giving it more air since lots of "other things" that might fit under it
(then) are smaller and would not "choke it" for air flow...
(I would not put a new "hot" hard drive directly under a burner...)

As with most things computer related, you will find people that "like"
one way or the other better. Using IDE, sometimes you "need" to
experiment.  In those cases, it is not "too hard" too try both ways,
and see what works for you.

Since you are using the Roxio software, I'll add some things I was told
about switching things around and even changing drive models...
The burning software "scans" the system while loading, so you can
swap stuff around all day and "it" will not care what burner is there,
or where...  (Set your BIOS properly)

                 Rick Glazier

----- Original Message (Reply)-----
From: "Dan Kucherich" <[log in to unmask]>
> I'm just curious, you've suggested the cdrw as sec slave.  I've seen
> configurations in some PCs (with 1-HD and 1-cdrom only) where the HD is
> Primary master and the CD-rom is secondary slave.  What is the advantage of
> making the CD sec slave?
>
> Btw, I'll be using Adaptec sw with Win98se.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml