From:
Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 14:58:32 EDT
Sandy,

<<I just learned from my MD I have preosteoporosis.He recommends medication
which he says can reverse it (Proscar?). I asked if diet and excersize could
reverse it, he said no,  it would just help somewhat.>>

I've read that weight-bearing exercise can help a great deal.  I run
regularly, and do upper body weight training.  Osteoporosis becomes a risk
for women after menopause because bone density decreases with dropping
estrogen levels.  Exercise is most helpful when it's done regularly prior to
menopause.  It's like putting lots of money in the bank for retirement.  But
it can help afterwards, too.

Of course, you need dietary calcium to build strong bones.  A good way to
increase calcium in the diet is through gelatinized soups--boil bones for 24
hours with something acidic.  I have typically used a little vinegar, but if
you don't want to use that, use lemon juice or orange juice.  This will
dissolve minerals from the bones.  The wild vegetables available to
paleolithic people were much higher in calcium than what we have available to
us today.  If we don't eat dairy, the calcium has to come from somewhere.

     - Sheryl