From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 04:33:48 -0500
Peter wrote:

>...the category of animal foods.
>
>Amadeus:
> >How about real things like micronutrients, fiber, antioxidants, minerals?
>
>It is well established that these elements are essential as well.

Why "as well"?
Where is it well established that the category of animal foods
is essential?

>Amadeus:
>>If you choosed to adopt a upper paleolithicum cold climate diet, which
>> was
>>dominated by meat, then you will end up in a nutritional state similar to
>>these people. That's your choice.
>
>It seems I could be making a lot worse choices, no?  ;-)

There are always worse choices.

But what are good choices?
The nutritional status of a Cro Magnon from 30,000 BC from, say the Chauvet
cave was good enough to allow these people to spread over whole Europe, in
very small numbers. They died early. They could have had a lot of
degenerative diseases after the age of 40. We don't know.
Personally I think these people had a good nutritional status, because
they had only fresh and best quality things to eat, more greens as inuit.

But in a few 100 years all of them were converted to neolithic Linearband
culture, in whole Europe, whereever. There are some genetic studies that
suggest that 75% of the todays (northern) genes are from the previous
hunter/gatherers. There must have been some advantage in it.

> >Does it mean we have to eat insects?
>
>It is certainly an argument I would entertain, especially if I were
>a vegetarian like yourself.   In fact, I have some interesting insect
>recipes if you are interested. ;-)

Are insects not animals in you opinion?

> The lack of true paleo
>quality
>animal foods is a poor excuse for simply eliminating them completely.

A good reason to eliminate the bad quality completely, I think.

>I imagine it would be for you the ultimate living nightmare if you were
>suddenly
>surrounded by abundant supplies of animal foods of a paleo quality that
>even you
>could not question.

That would be good for the animals and good for the "predators" (eaters).
For me it owuld be a problem if *nothing else was available*.
What would you do in say the Australian outback and left only
with some maggots and slimy snails to survive?
Probably overcome the shudder and live.

I'll not do this before I really have to. Snails or other animals.

> However, muscle meats are still paleo foods ..

I hope your definition of paleo will lead you to a healthy eating.

Amadeus