From:
Jochen Schwarz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:39:29 +0200
        William Schnell <[log in to unmask]> wrote on 15.04.01
        14:58:43:

>It has been my understanding that fermented milk (such as kefir), if
>made from raw is not so evil as pasteurized. Do you know of any proof
>showing otherwise?
>
>William Schnell

The only studies for this topic with ms is from Butcher and Malosse et
al. Malosse et al.
Correlation between milk and dairy product
consumption and multiple sclerosis prevalence: a worldwide study.
Neuroepidemiology 1992: 11: 304-312

They find a correlation between ms and milk, butter, cream, but not
cheese. Whatīs different in cheese? original cheese is without the
whey, and most of the allergic reactions to milk is because the protein
ß-lactalbumin, which is present in the whey fraction of the milk.
But thereīs another problem with the hypothesis milk and ms.
We are drinking milk since 8000 years, people on this list will know it
better, but ms is thought to be a relativ new disease (1823 or so). So
what have changed with the milk? Thatīs the interesting point.
Possible is the fact of pasteurisation, perhaps the milk is changed through this
heating in an unhealthy way, but I donīt know when pasteurisation starts.
Another scientist accused the feeding of newborns with cowmilk, which
leeds to an impaired myelinlayer.Or think at the new perception with
morbus crohn, where they find a germ in milk, which can (not must) lead
to crohnīs disease.

Fresh kefir includes the whey, but also bifido, which could pre-digest
the problematic lactalbumin, but I donīt know exactly.

Jochen Schwarz