CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dianna Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 23:21:31 -0500

Hello all-

I wanted mention a book which I have recently been given and have
personally found helpful in getting my son's cd symptoms under control. It
is called "Breaking the vicious cycle-intestinal health through diet" by
Elaine Gottschall. It HIGHLY debated and I have NO interest in debating it
(please no emails). I read the book and searched the CEL-KIDS archives for
any opinions and didn't find a word about it.  The CELIAC group had plenty
to say-good and bad. I decided to try the diet because after 12mos GF, I
knew that something was still wrong. The "safe" foods aren't safe for my
son. Its been very frustrating buying and cooking all this food he won't
eat. Or he'll eat it once and not again. The "specific carbohydrate diet"
described in this book includes only food

s which do not tax an already compromised digestive system (no grains,
complex sugars, starches). For us the diet consists of all the foods my
son had self-selected anyway so it wasn't such a huge leap-more of a
validation really. For many people it would be a very limited diet, but
for me I feel liberated from the frustration of failed efforts in the
way of other grains and dairy products. In one week, his stools have
gone to normal (for the first time in his life). I even feel like we can
tackle potty training now (He's 2 1/2). Its not a lifetime diet, the
idea is to add foods back in later.  Since I saw no mention of this
subject in the archives, I wanted to include it in case there is an
interest and if someone else hadn't heard of it. I'm not claiming to
even have an opinion about the author's claims regarding a cure for CD,
but the diet is at least getting us to "normal" and to no illness,
which brings me immense joy and relief. Check out www.scdiet.org
and www.scdiet.com.

Dianna