C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jennifer Zubko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:57:52 -0500
Hi Mag,

David Hart has strict rules about who can manufacture his device in each
country, and, admittedly, the new manufacturer for Canada/the USA will NOT/
does not have the capacity or permission to make the walker strong enough
for an adult  to use. BUT I am blessed enough to have been put in touch with
the old manufacturer, who is going to try to use his engineering expertise
to make something for me along with working with the Hart walker orthotists,
etc. So I am a bit of a trailblazer as far as that is concerned, but was not
happy with any of the adult gait trainer on the market. Tried them all. So
as I said, I shall be a bit of a guinea pig for them-- want  things  like
brakes, big wheels, and the placement where the brace releases from the
frame changed.

They can market it later if they wish. There is another version of the Hart
Walker called the SMART WALKER.
One other note, if anyone lives in/can get to England, there is a company
there (again another gentleman trained by David Hart who went off and did
his own thing), called Genesis Orthotics that makes a version of the Hart
for adults, but I COULD NOT GET IN/OUT INDEPENDENTLY, NO BRAKES, ETC. For
some people this would not matter, for me it does.

Their website in the UK IS:
http://www.genesisorthotics.co.uk/
I can't get to England, though, and need something different.... And yes the
walker can go up/down curb cuts, outside, supposedly in tight corners (kids
helping parents cook, etc).
I suppose the SWASH could be worn with Hart Bracing, as the only restriction
is that you have free motion at the ankles,knees, hips, which the Swash
gives. (You could not bend over from the waist  in the Hart walker/bracing
system, anyhow). The brace doesn't allow this.... HOWEVER.... While in the
walking frame and attached to the cables that prevent scissoring of the
legs, the SWASH might become redundant, or it might be an asset, depending
on a person's situation.

Another interesting note: I have to get fully articulated AFOS (ones with
free ankle motion to dorsi/plantarflex my feet) to walk in the Hart Walker.
This is one of the reasons my braces need to be recasted.

There are four adult gait trainers on the market that I know of.
The PONY by Snug Seat comes in adult sizes, but if you bought it, get
someone to change the wheels-- little ones get stuck in cracks of
sidewalks-- and no brakes for going downhill:
http://snugseat.com/pony.html
The Theratrek by Ultimed Co.
Again, tried it, but no brakes- at least bigger wheels.
http://www.ultimatesupport.com/MD%20Main%20page.htm
The Meywalk by Mulholland- very big/cumbersome. No brakes again. Could be
used outdoors but not fit in a car easily for transport in its adult form.
http://www.mulhollandinc.com/meywalks.htm

RIFTON PACER- comes apart easily when needed to be put in  a trunk- parents
love this one-- attachments can be removed so it becomes a anterior/poserior
walker (to be used in front of or behind the user), but again no brakes,
found myself running down hills, all the ways to get out of the walker are
at the back, necessitating an attendant, etc.
http://www.rifton.com/rifton/pacer.htm
Very big in its adult form-- ie could not really use in my residence room.

These are the ones on the market now. I personally found them very
expensive/did not like some of the features of each one.

 Will let you know how my little adventure in Toronto goes. Maybe I CAN HELP
OPEN UP A NEW MARKET IN NORTH AMERICA. My dream is that people get walkers
instead of wheelchairs.
Jenn
Jenn