C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 22:53:12 -0500
Hey, guys...

I've been sitting here in my flat most of the evening, with an ice pack on
the back of my head and trying not to freak out.  When I was coming home
from work this evening I started to wheel up the walk to my door, when the
front wheels of my chair caught in a crack in the sidewalk and the chair
started to flip back (the walkway is rather steep).  It flipped back all the
way and I fell out, hitting the back of my head on the sidewalk.  Ouch!   I
ended up three feet from the tipped-over chair with my glasses torn off and
my bags in a bush.

Fortunately I was wearing a woollen cap so my head was somewhat cushioned,
but still... I lay there for a few minutes, calling for help (I couldn't get
up) and my neighbour across the hall from me heard my cries and came running
out to help.  She also called the manager and the EMT's.  So there  was a
bit of excitement here for a bit.  However I checked out fine and the
building manager is going to have the crew come out and fix the sidewalk,
which I've been urging them to do ever since I moved in a year and a half
ago.  I'm just sorry it took an accident to get it done.  The EMTs told the
manager there's been accidents like mine at two other apartment complexes in
this town this year and both of them ended up a lot more serious than mine
did.  Guess that spurred her to action!

In any case, I'm OK, just a sore spot.  Ugh.  But no nausea, no double
vision and no loss of consciousness.  Whew... but I gotta tell you, this was
scary.

Kat

The trouble with practical jokes is that very often they get
elected.   - Will Rogers