C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 07:26:23 EST
I don't have a problem with the social worker at the hospital, in fact, I
don't even have a problem with the hospital itself from that experience.  I'm
thinking it was the oncologist who wasn't communicating.

It's hard to know.  I feel as though this social worker could have been a
help to my Mom, and it wasn't her fault.  The whole thing had the feel of her
picking up a new file on her desk and following through with it as best she
could based on the information in the file.  I had a heck of a time getting
the oncologist to say my Mom was < 6 months, so I could get hospice help for
her.  This oncologist though -- Dougie Houser's little sister.  Mom wasn't <
6 months; she was < 6 weeks.  I really had to back the doctor against the
wall to get some kind of time frame in writing.

I have the feeling that this social worker doesn't have a chance to do her
good work a lot of the time, through no fault of her own.  It was all damage
control in my Mom's case.

Who knows?  They have problems that we didn't have in the government, and
they're still doing a heck of a lot better.  If some of the people I
encountered in the government worked in or ran hospitals instead, the bodies
would be lined up out in the streets.

Those would just be the visitors.  Nobody would be able to find the patients.