VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:32:02 -0400
7bit
From:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
With the proliffereation of email services that challenge every sender to
prove that they are a legitimate email sender, I have an idea that could
make lots of money for someone.  It is quite simple really and places the
burden in the right place.

A mail finter that looks at your address book and if it finds an address
that matches the sender, the message gets through.  The result if it does
not find a message can be one of two.  It can ask you to decide if you want
to view the message and add the sender to your address book or it can place
the message in a folder of your designation for later viewing and if you
want, you can even set up a block list.  Oh, I know, it's a real joy to
annoy each person who sends you a message even if only once and force them
to prove to you or the system that they are not a robot, but what is to
prevent someone from forging your email address and sending tons of unwanted
email to a spammer anyway.  I say, cut out the middle man, cut out making
everyone do what we should be doing ourselves and set up a screening service
that we controll.  Suppose that system glitches and starts just sending
these little prove to me you are a human messages out all over the place.
No, we need to take controll of our email and we need to be responsible
ultimately for what we recieve willingly and best of all, it won't matter
whether the sender can see or hear.