VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2003 15:50:13 -0400
JAWS is a large program and I think this was discussed with Dorren on
several occasions. Large programs like JAWS use allot of memory when
running. Each program or application you run while running JAWS is also
taking up memory. The more programs that you use the more memory is
being used. As memory is drained programs react in different ways then
we would like them to. Closing a program will not do that much to help
the problem since a small part of that program will be resident in
memory in case you want to use it again during your session on the pc.
The only way to completely clear the memory is to reboot. What you can
do is clear some of your background programs that run on start up thus
giving you more available memory as needed. Many times programs run in
the background with out you even knowing it. Some of these programs are
Real player, Winamp etc. One thing you can do is go to start, run and
then type in MSCONFIG. Click ok. This will bring up a window with tabs
on the top. The last tab to the right will be start up. Click this tab.
The dialog box will show you what is running on your pc at start up.
Look for items that are running that don't need to be running like Real
Player etc. Remove the check mark. If you do not know what some of the
programs are then please DO NOT remove the check mark. Click ok then
close. You will need to reboot. I will get a list of what system
programs are needed for windows 98/se and post it so that you don't
close any needed programs. The other option is to upgrade your memory. I
realize that this is not an option for everyone because of the cost.

Here are a couple of links that may help you out:
http://www.hj.com/ under this link click the contact us tab and ask your
question directly to Freedom Scientific the makers of JAWS.

This is  a group for JAWS users:

JAWS Lite List Serve
A list for new users of JAWS for Windows where you can share your
experiences, questions and suggestions. Sign up for the list by
following the link below.
JAWS Lite List Serve <http://www.onelist.com/group/JFWlite>