Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 17:58:11 -0700
7BIT
From:
On 13 Oct 2001, at 22:21, Harry Schmidt wrote:

> The more time the clock loses the more sluggish the computer gets.
> If I shut down and restart it the time is correct for a while then
> it starts to lose time again and again gets sluggish.

  Someone has already suggested a virus, and that's a good place to
start.

  One of the ways that the clock can lose time is if the "clock tick
interrupt" (every 55 ms, or about 18 times/second) doesn't get
handled fast enough, so some get missed.  This can happen if the
system is too busy with uninterruptable tasks (such as device drivers
or handlers for other kinds of interrupts), which could include
viruses.
  This used to come up fairly regularly under DOS, with TSR
(terminate and stay resident) utility programs.  Can you tell us what
OS and applications you're using?

  (A heavily-loaded system will also have less time available for
"foreground" applications, and thus appear "sluggish", so this is a
very reasonable theory for your case.)

David Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com