Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 03:41:29 +1200
7bit
From:
Kevin Neal <[log in to unmask]>
> After doing some testing, I am almost convinced that the new 300W P/S is defective.

G'day again Paul, - nice to hear from you.

I just wonder if the P/S is inadequate, (even if in a very small way) rather than defective ? - although I do believe that Enlight is a reputable manufacturer.

The ASUS manual, p.42, (3.19) quite definitely states;

" IMPORTANT : Make sure that your ATX power supply can supply at least 10mA on the +5 volt standby lead (+5VSB). You may experience difficulty in powering ON your system if your power supply cannot support the load. "

I guess this points to two things;
a/   When all else fails; - read the instructions.   :-)
b/   Now I'm a bit worried about having bought an 'el cheapo' case and P/S.

I did the latter because I thought it best to buy the best possible mobo. and save money elsewhere, but in retrospect, possibly not the best idea.

The truth is that I'm a bit lost when it comes down  to milli-Amps.and such, although I do know that systems such as we are building can generate as much as 60-70 Watts, which is as much as a small light-bulb, and we know how hot those little things can get.
I do agree though that 300W is the minimum P/S, - perhaps it's an an absolute minimum for systems such as ours ?

A lesson I learned during my petrol-head, hot-rod building youth, was to always check and double-check the simple and obvious things. I once stripped and rebuilt a carburettor, only to find that the real problem was that I had installed the fuel filter backwards ! Although it's unlikely, - this lesson would lead me to check that the front panel switch is actually working properly.

Hopefully, you will have solved the problem by the time you read this, - and I'll keep my fingers crossed when I do my bare-bones power- up.

Oh, and by the way, there is nothing in my manual which says anything about pushing the power button twice, - just Soft Off / Power Off for 4 seconds.

Kevin,
Auckland, NZ.

My other 250W P/S operates just fine connected to my old mobo or separately with the two pins jumpered. However it does not work with the new A7V133! As I mentioned in my post, the fans come on for about 1/4 revolution and shut off. The onboard LED stay lit with either P/S,  however. It is possible that it is underpowered for the new board, which is supposed to be used with a 300W min P/S. It seems to function normally with my old mobo, however. Except that since I tried my old video board and P/S on the A7V133, and reinstalled them in my old computer, I can't get it to go into POST now! Great fun...........!! I hope the A7V133 is not defective.