Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 14:40:44 -0600

            A few days ago I posted about my 2 year old just being diagnosed
with gluten sensitivity by Dr. Fine.  Well my husband wanted to let her
pediatrician know what we were doing.  Well her reaction was not very good
and even offensive.

First let me give you a short background so you understand the situation.

            Back in May of 2000 I started having severe stomach pain and
diarrhea.  I lost 20 lbs.  Totally unexplained weight loss.  I let the
diarrhea go on for six weeks before I contacted my doctor.  I was referred
to a GI and he basically treated me like a hypochondriac and kept accusing
me of being anorexic.  At this point my symptoms included:

Severe muscle aches, joint pain, fatigue, hair loss, weight loss, difficulty
concentrating, diarrhea, constipation, stomach pain that hardly ever went
away, blood shot eyes, mental confusion and the list goes on.  To make a
long story short I had a biopsy but he only took one sample and said I didn'
t have Celiac.  I went on the diet anyway and viola every last symptom is
gone including the hair loss!!   I was fed up with being accused of being
anorexic.  At the time I started the diet I weighed 92 lbs.  Now I have
gained a little back and weigh 99 lbs.

            I noticed  that my daughter had diarrhea that smelled so bad
even though it was in the garbage can outside you could smell it in the
house and it was nauseating to say the least.  She is very irritable, has
difficulty sleeping, has diarrhea, frequent unexplained vomiting, she hadn't
gained any weight in almost a year and was slowly falling off the chart.  Of
course I was concerned about her although her doctor attributed her small
stature to the fact that I'm small, and the night waking was from being
spoiled and the diarrhea was probably giardia or something else.

Here are her test results from Dr. Fine:

Gluten Sensitivity stool test:  Fecal Antigliadin IgA    117 units
(negative would be less than 10)

Fecal Anti-tissue transglutaminase test IgA:  123 units    (negative would
be less than 10)

Her malabsorption test was 762 units     (negative would be less than 500)

The doctor wants her to have a biopsy but I know that damage isn't going to
show at this point because the malabsorption is still on the more mild side
and generally speaking the biopsy doesn't show results until the very last
stages of celiac sprue.  Putting a two year old through that KNOWING that
the results will most likely be negative unless I let this disease get out
of hand seems irresponsible on my part as a parent!!!!   What should I do?

I want to change pediatricians but I just wanted to get everyone's input on
this situation.  Thanks for reading and listening to my frustration.

Tandi