From:
Christina Kuhne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 14:36:48 +1000

Dear Friends

From the information I recieved and from the replies I recieved
I have concluded that my original stand of not eating anything
containing malt or malt extract is the best way for me to go.  Will
provide a summary of the information and leave it for all of you to make
your own decision.  Sorry it is so long. Sorry have had to make several
parts to this summary

Firstly I would like to thank Charles Owen who sent me the achives links
and then helped me when I was having problems accessing it. Thanks
Charles.

Had a lovely email from an 80 year old lady who says she has always
eaten Rice Crispies, however knowing what I do now I wouldn't eat them.

Here is a quote from one email and I agree whole heartedly with it.
"there is a saying that a celiac when they cheat is eating rat poison
and we normally do not include rat poison in any diet."

Here is an explanation of Malt and malt Extract

Malt is, at least in the brewing world,  germinated and dried whole
grains, usually barley and wheat but sometimes others like rye and oats.
It is mostly starches.

Malt extract is made when the malt is crushed and mixed with water at
about 150 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour or so.  During this time the
enzymes in the malt break down the starches into sugars.  There should
be no starches left.  The extract is the liquid portion of this mixture.
It is used as is for making beer or concentrated for syrup or for
drying to powder.    Malt extract is a common ingredient in a lot of
food products.

Here is the dictionary explanation.

Pronunciation: (molt),
-n.
1. germinated grain, usually barley, used in brewing and distilling.
2. any alcoholic beverage, as beer, ale, or malt liquor, fermented from
malt.
3. whisky, as Scotch, that is distilled entirely from malted barley.
-v.t.
1. to convert (grain) into malt by soaking it in water and allowing it
to germinate.
2. to treat or mix with malt, malt extract, etc.
3. to make (liquor) with malt.
-v.i.
1. to become malt.
2. to produce malt from grain.

Now here is a summary of what I found in the archives and there links.

It is my understanding that Malt is from toasted barley, hence, barley
malt. Or perhaps the term barley malt just specifies that it is barley
and not wheat malt..Barley or other grain prepared for brewing or
distilling by steeping, germinating, and kiln-drying, or by
gelatinization, etc.

http://www.cyberdiet.com/modules/aa/diet_challenge/wheat/label_wheat.htm

Common foods and ingreidients containing wheat protirn

BREADS CEREALS NOODLES AND CRACKERS

most beread......bulger.....farina.....most
cerals.....coucous......noodles......bran bread....most
crackers.....pastas.....bread crumbs ....cracker meals

FLOURS AND BAKING INGREDIENTS

allpurpose flour....gluten...wheat flour.....cake
flour....malt....wheatgerm....durum flour....malt extact.....wheat
germ.....enriched flour.....malt flavouring.....wheat
malt.....grahamflour....seitan....wheat starch........high gluten
flour......semolina....

.whole wheat berries.....spelt....whole wheat flour.....pastry
flour....sprouted wheat.....

durum wheat.....semolina flour....wheat....cereal extract.....food
starch,.....wheat bran

FOODS THAT CONTAIN WHEAT

hydrozled.....starch.....vegetable gum.....vegetable
protein.....gelatinised starch.....

vegetable starch.....natural flavouring....modified starch.....soy
sauce......modified food starch

Almost all cereals contain malt or malt extract

[log in to unmask]&L=celiac&P=R66" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]&L=celiac&P=R66

I have included this it is from the archives but is most interesting.

 The last time I heard the head food chemist of Kelloggs speak in the US
he said all malt products contained gluten.

5. I know that malt flavoring can sometimes come from corn malt, but in
my experience, it's usually from barley.

6. Malt or Malt Flavoring - avoid: if made from barley malt or syrup,
allowed: if made from corn. Now you say, the only way to find out is to
call the company. Right!

7. ...but one piece of information was Malt did contain Gluten.

8. Anecdotal evidence but, my experience with Rice Crispies which has as
its only suspect ingredient, malt flavoring or malt syrup, is that it is
not gluten free; my body tells me so in no uncertain terms!

9. The malt flavouring in all Kellogs Cereal comes from a combination of
barley and corn. There for it is not safe.

10. I wrote to FlavTek, a flavoring and fragrance company on the 'net,
and asked about what malt flavoring is and whether it has contact with
derivatives of all our "evil" grains (Wheat, oats, barley and rye). This
is the response I received. Hope it helps.

response-- Most malt flavors, especially natural malt flavor, have one
of the four ingredients you mention; however artificial malt flavor,
without any of the four ingredients, can be made -- we don't have a
standard product because there has not been much request for it.--

[log in to unmask]&L=celiac&P=R3337" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]&L=celiac&P=R3337

This could be relevant check it out for yourself

[log in to unmask]&L=celiac&P=R2770" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]&L=celiac&P=R2770

Here is another interesting post, sorry didn't get the date of this post
but including the link if you are interested.

[...]

Sorry didn't get the date of this post but including the link you can
check it out for yourself.

You may be interested to know that Dr. Fiona Stevens, President of the
Coeliac Society of Ireland is proposing that the Society should change
its recommendations about malt and its derivatives.

The Society used to recommend that pure malt was not allowed but that
malt extract and malt flavourings were OK because all or most of the
gluten was removed during processing. Due to recent discoveries that
malt extract in some products can contain up to 2% gluten, Dr. Stevens
is now recommending that coeliacs do not eat products with malt in any
form. A new Manufacturer's List is currently being prepared (it is due
to be published in November) and will probably reflect this
recommendation.

All this was revealed at our bi-annual Convention in Kilkenny yesterday.

So - no more Kellogg's for breakfast! I'm about to email them to ask
them to produce some malt-free gluten-free breakfast cereals for the
Irish market as soon as possible. I wonder if they'll respond?

[log in to unmask]&L=celiac&P=R286" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]&L=celiac&P=R286

And finally a word from Kellogs  Again this is from the archives didn't
think to get the date but have included the link.

Thank you for asking about gluten or wheat-free products.

We are sorry to disappoint you but we do not manufacture a gluten-free
product. Our cereals contain malt flavouring in the natural flavours.

The formulation of Kellogg's cereals requires the malt flavouring as it
contributes to the characteristic, unique flavour of the cereals. The
malt flavouring used is an unconcentrated extract of barley malt (barley
which has undergone a soaking, germination and drying process) and corn
flour. The two ingredients are mixed with water under controlled
temperature for a specified period of time to develop the characteristic
flavour. The extract or liquid obtained after a filtration process is
then blended with other ingredients.

Although we understand and are aware of the special dietary needs of
many people, we are not always able to accommodate all consumers.

We hope this information is helpful.

THE BEST TO YOU!!

Consumer Affairs KELLOGG CANADA INC.

[log in to unmask]&L=celiac&" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]&L=celiac&
P=R389&m=28148

In conclusion I guess I will get some more replies however I think this
summary covers most of the questions and answers them should any of the
other replies be relevant I will post another summary