From:
C. Hammelrath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 09:34:34 -0700

In my original post I asked if anyone had experienced joint pain when
they started taking Fosamax.   Here are the replies:

Yes, although it wasn't Fosamax, but Didrocal, which is similar. On the
first cycle, I had to lie in a warm bath for an hour at a time for some
relief.  Next cycle was a bit better ... and so on.  It's now 2.5 years
later, and there's no problem, AND NO OSTEOPOROSIS!!!

Mary

In my experience, many people have trouble taking Fosamax.  I know at
least one woman who had such advanced osteoporosis that she was
bedridden.  Subsequently she had to stop taking the Fos. because it made
her so sick.   A friend suggested that she try the Nikken Sleep System.
After two years in the Sleep System, her bone density test shows that
she is back in normal range for her age.   (I do NOT know what this is,
contact  [log in to unmask]   if you want more info.  Catherine)

FYI:   I have been taking Fosamax for a month.  It is not taken alone.
I take a Fos. pill (10 mg.) and stand upright for at least 30 minutes at
a minimum.  At the end of the stand up time, I take "1200 mg of Liquid
Calcium With Vitamin D".  This is in  the form of capsules which are a
bit large but no problem to get them down.  With the Fos. I take a large
glass of water.  I do this only early in the morning.  I was warned that
it might make me a bit sick.  However, it left me with a strange aroma
when I breathed outward.  This only occurred the first time and from
then on the only problem was finding things to do during the time I had
to stand up.  When I first started, I was having quite a bit of back
pain and had to sit with the back of a chair to provide support.  Two
weeks after starting I had no more problems with my back!  I am, of
course, continuing until the Dr. says that is enough.  This procedure is
the result of a bone scan at hospital. It is quite common for persons
with Celiac to end up needing something to help with this kind of a
problem along with many others! ... Frank

I have been taking Fosamx for years with no joint pain.

I have not used Foxamax.  One of the doctors who attended the GIG
conference in Tacoma, WA this year recommended that newly diagnosed
celiacs NOT use Fosamax for at least a year after beginning the GF
diet.  This doctor said that celiacs usually increase their bone mass by
4 to 5 % during that first year through improved absorption.  I don't
recall the technical reasons why Fos. is not recommended.   It had
something to do with the  action of the drug on bone resorption or some
such very technical reason. Valerie

I cannot take any HRT (hormone replacement therapy)  products and I
wondered why then I learned they are not GF.  Fosamax caused very
serious bleeding in my stomach. (don't know the gf status of it) but
after five years of taking Premarin I wound up with uterine cancer so
I'm wary about taking any of these types of medication. DW

I recently attended the GIG conference in Tacoma, WA.  Dr. Greene, a
well known researcher (?) in the celiac field said newly diagnosed (?)
CDers should probably not take fosamax.  (Although at this time I can't
remember why)   Barb

I am on the 70 mg...no problem so far.  Danny

I work for Merck in the Clinical Research Dept.  I will find out for
you.  Has your friend taken any daily 10mg pills prior to the
once0weekly dosing?  If so, how did she feel?  I should have an answer
for you on Monday.  Teresa  (I will pursue this, and await her reply
which I will post back to the list-Catherine)

For my part, I have been on Fosamax since shortly after it first came
out, beginning in June 1996, ... after falling and breaking my leg very
badly ... and the subsequent discovery that I had severe osteoporosis
... the 10 mg pills, until they came out with the 70mg ones ... I follow
the regimen strictly and so far, so good.  I long since have normal bone
density ... I have a yearly dexascan ... and my doctor says I will have
to take this forever, as when one stops, the bone loss resumes.   Thanks
to everyone for your input.    If anyone out there can tell us more
about Dr. Green's presentation at the GIG conference, I, for one, would
love to hear it.  I participated in one of his studies.  Thanks,
Catherine