From:
Jodie/Mark Regan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 07:53:38 -0700

Hi all. I recently purchased an "Ensure" knock-off and e-mailed the
manufacturer about gluten content.  The product is called Daily Source
Nutritional Energy Drinks by Perrigo.  Here is their reply. (I'm not
comfortable giving my daughter this drink, but I'm curious what some of you
think about Perrigo's statement):

From Perrigo Consumer Affairs:

As you are aware, gluten is a protein sustance which is intermixed with the
starchy endosperm of grassy grains such as wheat, oats, barley, and rye.
Wheat has the highest concentration.

While some wheat fiber is present in the nutritional drink formulations, the
source is from wheat chaff, not the seed or berry. Therefore, none of the
cereal prolaines associated with gluten are present, and the product can be
declared gluten-free.

We hope this information satisfactorily addresses your concerns. If we can
be of any further assistance, please let us know.