From:
Timia R Conjurske <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 21:23:20 -0500

Hi all,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get the rest of the summaries out.  My
computer failed and I had to get another one, and it's set me behind.
Thanks again so very much to all of you to took the time to give such
helpful replies.

Timia

Unfortunately, thus far, after being gf for three
months, my joint pain continues, especially in my
knees, ankles, and hands. I've been tested for RA, but
tested negative.

Perhaps one has to be on a gf diet longer than three
months, but I would caution you that a gf diet is not
the answer to all that can ail a person...we can get
other diseases, too. It's possible your friend suffers
from other sensitivities which can cause pain, or as
you said, he could have arthritis.

I have experienced joint pain before going gf.  My doc
put me on DHEA(very small doses--much smaller than
available over the counter)at the same time.  DHEA is
reported, in some circles, to alleviate joint pain.

What I can tell you from my experience is that the
week I didn't take it recently(forgot to bring it w/me
on vacation)was a week of joint pain and muscle aches
again.  Based on this I would say the DHEA has greatly
helped my joint pain.  My doc is an MD who practices
holistic medicine.  He has written 2 books on his work
and one addresses arthritis and other related
illnesses which he treats with natural hormones &
diet.  You can reach him and purchase his books if you
so desire at:

Dr. Brownstein/Center for Holistic
Medicine/248-851-1600.

I had joint paint and Iam not sure how long it took to feel better. I
also experience it now if I accidentally ingest gluten. My shoulders and
neck especially.

I had pain in my hands that prevented me from twisting open a bottle of
coke. I have been GF for 6 months. The problem is almost completely
gone, since about a month after going GF. I am 41. I imagine as I age I
will have to cope with this, but I certainly have improved.

Prior to 1994 when I was diagnosed with Celiac disease,  I was being
treated for "gout".   I had bouts of severe swelling and pain in my
knuckles, knees, elbows, and feet.  At times my knees were swollen like
cantaloupes; I could barely walk to the bathroom.

When I quit eating gluten, all the pain and swelling vanished.  I can't
remember how long it took, but think it was in a matter of weeks.  To
this day, if I ingest  hidden gluten the joints in my fingers and thumbs
= swell-up over night and are very painful and red for about a week.  I
hope this helps and your friend has a similar recovery!  As you know
many autoimmune conditions can be co-travelers.  A good rhuematologist
should be able to check out your friend if joint pain is not resolved by
= going GF.

My older brother had rheumatoid arthritis that showed dramatic
improvement within three weeks of going gluten-free.  Within a few
months, it was completely gone.  His joints, however, get stiff and sore
when he accidentally ingests gluten.  This usually takes 24 hours to
occur after the ingestion.  And it lasts for a day or two.  Good luck!

Don't know if this is what is bothering your friend or not, but will
relate my experience.  Before I was diagnosed, I had what I thought was
pain in my right hip joint.  The doctor had an x-ray done, and the joint
spaces were fine, so I didn't have degenerative joint disease, which was
nice.  When I had a bone density test done, they sort of zeroed in on
that hip, on account of the pain.  I am on the gf diet now and take
calcium, and for a long time I took a tsp codliver oil, as it has a good
supply of vitamin A and also D.  The bone density test showed that
although I did have osteopenia, my bone density was better than average
for my age.  I also drink about 3/4 cup grape juice with a tablespoon of
Certo in it at breakfast each day.  Now the pain in my right hip seldom
appears, but I have to tell you, this didn't happen overnight.

I have been GF for 10 months and although I feel much better in many ways
I still have some joint and muscle pain.

I have recently been checking into food allergies.  I already know for a
fact that I am allergic to some foods and that when I eat them my pain
worsens over the next day or two.

Two great websites you can check out are below.

About.com has a forum listed as Allergies
Delphi.com has a forum listed as Corn Allergies

Since you asked for any experiences with joint pain, I'll share a
friend's experience.  She had a sudden onset of swollen and painful
joints.  It turned out to be human parvovirus (fifths disease in
children).  She was told it could last 3 weeks to 4 years!

I have joint pain and it's associated with the ingestion of dairy.   IT
takes about a month or two of being strictly dairy free to get rid of the
joint pain.

I have joint pain now even being gf, but it's horribly bad if ingest
gluten.

MIne hasn't gone away but just better managed or it was until my car got
hit in Jan. and since then I've been living on pain killers and muscle
relaxants as well as my normal antiinflammatory.

Most of my joint pain (in the knees) went away; I didn't notice when it
went, I just noticed I could walk down stairs without hurting.  This was
on diet alone. Haven't had any problems since. I'm still careful when
working with weights to protect my knees; but that's just good sense
anyway.

I have had CD since infancy, I was originally diagnosed in 1941.  I have
dealt with chronic joint pain since I was 10 years old.  I have been
diagnosed = with Osteoarthritis and degenerative joint disease.  For the
past several mont hs I have been going to a pain clinic in an attempt to
get some relief, so far, no luck.  I'm going to stay with it for a few
more months in the hope that something will work.  In the 1980's I spent
some time as an in-patient at a hospital that specialized in dealing
with patients with chronic pain, they really helped me deal with it
mentally and emotionally.  Your friend might want to look into a program
like that.

I do have rheumatoid arthritis. I was diagnosed 3months ago. It came on
very suddenly and has gotten progresively worse. I am no longer working.
I was diagnosed with celiac 6 years ago and have always followed a
gluten free diet. Cross contamination has been my only problem. Just
once in the last 3 months I had a reaction to gluten. I am not sure why.
I think my kids used my butter again. My arthrits was much worse for a
week of so after that.  Rheumatoid arthritis and celiac disease are both
autoimmune diseases. If you have one autoimmune disease it is more
likely you may have another. It does not mean you will, but you may.

  He should see a rheumatoidologist as soon as possible to rule it out.
Once joint destruction occurs it is not reversible. There are many
medications to slow the progression.

  I think that when your immune system is fighting with the gluten
ingestion it also increase the joint inflammation.  He should avoid
gluten at all cost!!

Joint pain of the torso(neck, shoulder, hips) was one of my major
medical problems before going gf.  It was progressing so rapidly that I
thought I might be wheelchair bound in a few years.  My pain noticeably
decreased within 1 week.   I continue to have some joint and muscle pain
but I am also having other food problems (possibly permeability
problems) so some undigested proteins may be getting into my system and
causing this.  In general though I am way better than before.  I don't
think I have had many gluten slip-ups so I can't tell you about that
part of it.

I get pain on the outside of my bones (hips especially) from potatoes,
specifically potato starch.  Blood type O thing according to book Eat
Right for Your Type by Peter D'Adamo.  I replaced the bread w/ baked
potatoes when I went g.f. & there was lots of potato starch in my g.f.
baking.  Red potatoes aren't as bad, and sweet potatoes cause no
problems.  If boiling potatoes, use lots of water.  Baked are the worst
offender because starch is most concentrated.

I still eat baked potatoes when we eat out, & do get bone pain, but it
long lasts a few hours.  When it was over dosing on them, the pain was
continuous.

My daughter (20) had terrible joint and muscle pain for about 2 years.
She was dx with fibromyalgia and was getting to the point where we
thought she might become bedridden! Then came the CD dx and after 3
months totally GF, the pain was significantly improved.  Now after 4
months GF, she has occasional aches and pains but they are becoming more
and more infrequent and don't seem any worse than anyone might
experience after being on their feet all day (It's mostly the ankles and
sometimes the back that still bother her at times).  Her improvement was
so dramatic and rapid, It seems obvious that the GF diet and/or the
supplements ( 1000 calcium, 250 magnesium ) are responsible because
that's the only thing she's doing differently.

I read on the list someone questioning back pain associated with casein
so we just cut out all dairy to see if that will help with the ankles.