From:
Jan Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:51:22 -0600

Here are the responses I got from my question about "Brain Fog".  I
received many on possible thyroid problems, but just had a physical in
April, and my internist said there was no problem.  I also got many
because I LOVE MILK!   There were also a couple who mentioned Soda, or
Nutrasweet (gosh I put that in my coffee every morning.  So, guess I'll
try some of these suggestions.  Thanks to all!     Here they are...take
them for what they're worth(this is a 2- parter):

----

I noticed better cognitive function when I eliminated
dairy.  The casein molecule is so close in structure to the gluten
molecule that it maybe penetrating the intestinal wall too, causing
lingering brain fog.

----

Have your thyroid and B-12 tested.

----

It only takes a trace to gluten to give me "brain fog."  It's like a
can't fully concentrate.  After going g.f., the immune system readjusts
and seems to become even more sensitive to any traces of gluten that may
remain--Less gluten causes worse symptoms. You might want to recheck
your diet for traces of hidden gluten.  Could include something that are
used every day, things like lipstick, etc., meds, even cereals like Corn
Pops or Pebbles that aren't made on dedicated machinery or soda w/
modified food starch. Trace amounts seem to have a cummulative effect.
(I can't drink Squirt--While supposedly g.f., after one a day for
several days I'm looking for an excuse to hurt someone--'Make my day."
I've decided to drink none.)

I think I've seen something similar related to thyroid function as well,
but wouldn't know where information on that.  Hopefully someone else
will suggest those sources for you.

----

I am 63 and I believe that I have good recall.  I used to be foggy, but
I also found that other food allergies kept me in the fog.  Do some
elimination of the most usual allergies -- corn, soy, dairy, etc., and
see if that helps.

 That was my problem; multiply allergies.  Remember that soy and corn
are in almost everything today that you don't make yourself.

----

The thing is are you still too low on vitamins, I'm on tpn and get
doubled the amt of vit. and 2200 mg of vit C(very important) what do you
eat in a day? cross-contamination? truly gf? what do your labs say? you
are still very young. Everyone forgets at times. Are you staying away
from  sodas and pop?(you should) I care, Lil

A couple of thoughts come to mind.  One, I would suggest a mega multi
vitamin, mineral, herbal, superfoods, etc., supplement.  The one I take
is Super Nutrition, Super Blend and I noticed the difference
immediately.  It's pricey, but well worth it, I think.  I get it at my
local hfs or it can be ordered directly from the company in San Francisco.

Also, Ginko is supposed to increase blood flow to the brain and help
cognitive function - and so is exercise.

----

Mental cloudiness can also be caused by other food intolerances as well.

Sugars & sweet make me loopy if eaten in access.

----

How's your thyroid?

I've been reading how people, (women in particular) in
the US are underdiagnosed for hypothyroidism, which
can cause depression, weight gain, mental fogginess,
etc. I have been hypothyroid for years, (diagnosed cd
last year) but am learning a lot about the condition
at Mary Shomon's thyroid web page on about.com. She
talks about how doctors rely too much on lab readings,
and not enough on how the patient feels (got that
right!), and also of how many doctors won't even test
for hypothyroid, instead blaming it on laziness etc.

Her research has found that we do better on lower tsh
levels than are typically followed by the doctors.

Anyway, look into it. CD and thyroid disease are closely linked.

----

I have mental cloudiness mainly with names, but I think it is just our
age and not celiac related.  I feel great otherwise and most of my
friends that aren't celiac are cloudy sometimes too.  God's way of
keeping us humble.

----

I think if you are religious about your diet the condition will improve
with time.

----

You could be sensitive to other foods besides gluten.  I know I now
have major problems with other foods after I went gf.  That can cause
all sorts of body malaise, at least I feel it.  It's taken me so long to
sort all the food issues out.  I just dumped the beef from my diet after
some postings in the list.  It sure has helped my joint(?) tendon(?)
pain so far and it's only been 3 days!

----

I would suggest two things.

 1. REad this book...should be in the library...

     EXCITOTOXINS: THE TASTE THAT KILLS

             BY RUSSELL BLAYLOCK

  You don't want to be putting anything into your
  body that burns up brain cells, like MSG or
  the many legal different names for MSG that
  allow this to be snuck into your food.
  Also stuff like NUtrasweet(aspartame).

 2. I am on a diet that will speed up healing
    of the gut and is used by people with all
    kinds of IBD, including celiac. It is called
     THE SPECIFIC CARBOHYDRATE DIET

   It will reduce the bad bacteria populations
     in the gut. These bad bacteria produce
   toxins which can be an extra load on the brain.
  In the book on the sc diet, there is a chapter
  on the brain connection. Look for this
   book at the library also....

    BREAKING THE VISCIOUS CYCLE
     by Elaine Gottschall

   and two websites with more info on the sc diet
are..

            www.scdiet.org
            www.scdiet.com