From:
Kirsten Klinghammer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 14:14:04 -0500

Dear fellow listserve members,

    Several people have been kind enough to share
their matzoh meal substitute finds, so I've put them
together to pass along to you:

****

I often use Manishewitz (sp?) brand potato pancake mix
as a matzoh meal substitute.  It gives the dish a bit
of a different flavor, but it works well in what I've
tried.

Not inexpensive, but it works. :-)

****

I was thinking of using poha flakes for matzah balls
this time. I miss having them when everyone else has
chicken soup. What do you think about those rice
flakes. They have to be soaked first. I make mock
oatmeal cookies out of them and they are great.

[I haven't tried them yet either, but I'd like to
pass along this suggestion to everyone else too - KK]

****

My wife told me about a "Motzo Ball Mix" called
"Knaidel mix". This item can be bought ONLY when
the Passover products are available. It does not
have motzo meal, and I for one think it is delicious.

We buy it at Shoprite in New Jersey.

The directions are on the box.

****

I use Paskesz's Pesach Crumbs all year round, although
I only see them in the northeast at Passover time.

They are described as non-gebroks and are kosher
and parve for Passover.  It makes great "matzo balls".

The recipe is on the box as well as one for cheesecake.

Last year's cost was $2.79 for 8 oz.  It is made with
potato starch, eggs and shortening.

For anyone in the New Haven, Connecticut area, looking
for the Paskesz's Pesach Crumbs, try the following
around Passover:

Westville Kosher Meat Market
95 Amity Rd
New Haven, CT 06515
Phone number: 203-389-1166

And if you're in Delray Beach, Florida, try

Glick's Market
7351 Atlantic Ave
Delray Beach, FL
Phone number: 561-637-1717

If you live elsewhere and can't find the Pesach crumbs
in your local kosher butcher shop or deli and you
would like to purchase this product, the Paskesz
company can tell you who distributes their product
in your area (and remember, this particular item is
only available around Passover).  Their address is:

Paskesz Candies & Confectionery
4473 1st Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11232
(718) 832-2400

[I'm haven't found a mail-order source yet,
but I'm going to ask my local Sacramento kosher
butcher shop to request this product from the
California distributor of Paskesz' products,
Shalom Distributors, Los Angeles, (323) 261-8591;
I'd like to try this one!- KK]

****

    In reading further in the cookbook I mentioned,
_The New York Times Passover Cookbook_, I also found a
recipe for gefilte fish calling for finely ground
blanched almonds!  I haven't tried that yet, so I can't say
how well it will hold together.  It looks like the
fish and the eggs will provide the stickiness, and
supposedly the dumplings will retain their shape. I
presume the ground almonds might work in other gefilte
fish recipes too.  If anyone else has this cookbook,
the recipe is Vera Rosenne's Gefilte Fish on page 15.

I guess we can add another use to the list of things
we can do with almond flour too ;-)

    Thank you to all of you who shared your matzoh
meal substitution suggestions with me!

    Cheers!

    Kirsten

P.S.  I don't have any affiliation with any of the
companies listed above, but once I had done some leg
work on the Paskesz company for myself, I wanted
to share the contact information which had been
provided to me and which I had found.

****

Kirsten Klinghammer
[log in to unmask] (preferred)