Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 12:44:54 -0500

Hi all,

This is a summary of all the responses I rec'd regarding my question about
people's personal experiences with Gluten Reaction Response Times.  Thanks
all ... I have my biopsy tomorrow and hopefully will have an answer to my
ill health over the last 11+ years.

===============

I get a reaction right away no matter what form of gluten I eat.

===============

experience is that if I consume a "trace amount" of gluten, the only
response I get is a lump in my throat.  If I consume a greater quantity,
then the "full blown" effects (bathroom trips, etc.) usually hit me 24 hours
later.

===============

What you read of gluten reactions on this list is those on a gluten free
diet  when they get gluten . You said you are eating gluten so you should
if waiting for a biospy. what are you eating ?

You could be asymptomatic so sometimes gluten bothers and sometimes not.
you sound like you have celiac and not wheat allergy

===============

I have about a 3 hrs reaction.

I think everyone is different.  Some has immediate reactions, others longer
ones.

Many have stated different delays in reactions at this site:
http://forums.delphi.com/celiac/messages/
with very caring and knowledgeable people to answer questions.

================

When I was GF for about 2 weeks, my response time for gluten ingestion was
about 3 hours.  Now that I've been GF for almost 8 weeks, my response time
has slowed to about 6 hours.  I guess that's just because my body has healed
up enough to take it for a few hours longer!

================

My gluten reaction is almost always severe:  diarreha, gas, bloating within
about 6 hours of ingesting gluten.  The amount of gluten *does* make a
difference for me.  Soy sauce that contains wheat, for example, is like
liquid gluten, I react really quickly to that.  Semolina pasta I will still
react to but the reaction will be somewhat less severe over say 8 hours as
opposed to 6.  Modified Food Starch containing gluten is like soy sauce,
always severe and always occurs within 6 hours.  I also get DH, needless to
say, I am very careful about my diet, I now leave all gluten exposure that
I get to accidental exposure only.  I would call the Semolina pasta
exposure more of a delayed response.  It is very very tricky to figure this
out, I think most Celiac's become intolerant to many foods so rotation in
the diet is extremely important.  Only my opinion.  Lucky (?--LOL) for me,
I was diagnosed 17 years ago thanks to having both severe diarehha and a
nasty itching skin rash (DH).  My diagnosis only took about 8 months.

================

I think that those people with immediate reactions may have both a gluten
intolerance and either a gluten or wheat allergy.

================

I do not get an immediate reaction. I have been g/f for over 25 yrs. I get
it up to 4 days later, but mostly the day after or two days after. My
reaction is gas pains and loose bowels. Since I have been gl/f for so many
years, I never get diarrhea except when I get a virus.

================

I have never had an immediate reaction to gluten.  It is almost always the
next morning.

===============

My daughter has a somewhat delayed reaction to ingesting substantial
amounts of gluten.  After about 90 minutes, she starts to throw up and
continues to do so off and on for about 3 or 4 hours.  Her reaction to
smaller amounts is negligible and delayed, usually overnight.  So far as
she's ever mentioned, there is no immediate reaction nor any adverse
sensation in the mouth as you mentioned.  My inclination is also that that
is indicative of an allergy.

===============

So far for me it is several hours later and seems to get shorter.  Last
time was about 6-8 hrs., when it used to be more like 8-12 hrs.

My 3.5 year old son has diarrhea 1-3 hours after accidentally eating gluten.
He tested negative to both the skin and RAST allergy tests to Wheat in May.

Two to three hours is typical for me. However, a swollen tongue doesn't
sound like CD.

Thanks all for your comments and taking the time to send me your
information about your experiences!

Jacquie