From:
Ellen Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:09:34 -0500

I'm looking for some input on symptoms that I have experienced since Sunday.
I am an active, biopsy-diagnosed female in my early 40's and have been GF
for about four years. About a year ago, I also became allergic to corn and
many legumes, including soy, peas, and several beans.

Muscles in my legs (both calves and thighs nearly equally) have felt
painful, burning, tight, and weak. Any exertion make the symptoms much
worse. A casual stroll Sunday afternoon left me nearly unable to climb a
slight incline on a grassy path, and put me immediately to bed to try to
relieve the pain in my legs. The best description of the pain at that point
was like an overabundance of lactic acid/by-products (extreme burning
feeling) from extreme exercise, which was not the case. Symptoms have
continued at varying degrees since then; the first night that I was
relatively comfortable was Tuesday night. I am very diligent in avoiding
gluten. I am very leery of manufacturers who claim their product to be
gluten free, and eat very few conventional products. I experience
gastrointestinal symptoms if I ingest even VERY small amounts of gluten
(once I determined the flavored coffee beans that I was grinding at home
were causing distress), and have had none of these symptoms, excepting a
slight nausea when the muscle pain becomes unbearable.

I went through a period with similar symptoms last summer, and various blood
and neurological tests (nutrient deficiencies, muscle inflammation,
antibodies) all came up negative. I did not undergo the recommended EMG, and
have not experienced these symptoms to the same extent since that time.

I am now awaiting results from a battery of blood tests conducted yesterday,
and will be seeing my internist again on Monday. I do not exhibit any loss
of sensation in hands or feet, and no numbness or undue pain to touch of the
surface of any areas of my body. Any thoughts?

I truly appreciate the ongoing information and support that this list
provides, and send my sincere thanks to those whose hard work and dedication
keep it going! Thanks to you all.

Ellen
Connecticut