From:
Nadia Chychota <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 21:53:41 -0700

thanks to all who responded to my question about what to eat in greece.
i am looking forward to the trip. we ate out in a greek restaurant in
town and used the restaurant card written in greek - great success!!!

here's the summary:

Grilled meat is very popular as is stewed meats and fish.  Most of that
kind of food would be prepared GF. Stay away from anything in philo
dough and, of course, pasta.  Sea foods are great if you like fish.
Shellfish are excellent if they agree with you.  The salads will be like
anything you've never tasted before. Dressings would be made from olive
oil and lemon juice, etc.  Rice should be cooked from scratch in chicken
broth made from real chicken.  The egg/lemon soup should NOT be made
with flour as thickening (egg yolks do the trick); however, you may want
to check that.

Most of the basic meals that I'm aware of don't use flour.  Meat patties
might be patted in flour before frying - be sure to check.

Look in the Archives for the date: September
01,2000, Poster: Sharon Marcus [log in to unmask]

You may be surprised.  They are big on fish.  I just returned two days
ago from France, Italy and Spain and had absolutely no problem.  I took
cards in the language of the country I was in and the servers were all
very helpful and I had lots of variety and never got sick.  I did eat
all ice creams
and used all salad dressings with no problem.  I would not eat the meat
in Europe but had chicken and fish.  Even the airlines got it right.

You could certainly have lamb shish kebobs with rice. And one of their
constant desserts is creme caramel/caramel custard/flan (goes by
different names)!

I've been to Greece and had wonderful meals. I brought a restaurant card
in Greek (can be found at www.celiaki.se, click at "oversattningar"
under the text "ska du aka utomlands". Then choose "grekiska") and had
lots of nice food, steaks, tzatziki etc.

You can't find glutenfree bread or pasta in the stores, so bring the
bread and crackers you might need.

hope this helps.
nac